Monday, December 20, 2010

Thoughts on "Room"


Hello BFABers...so glad our condo here in Arizona has Wi-Fi, so I can bring you my little updates!!! I am about 75% through our first selection "Room" (and I know this thanks to the amazing Kobo..an early birthday gift from my bro!)and am absolutely loving the story. I can't put it down and need to know what will happen next. I was worried about following along in the voice of 5 year old Jack (as I remember how annoying the speech of the same aged boy in Little Bee was); however, it is equally unique and cute in this novel. I love how he refers to objects as people (even capitalising their names: "Bed" "Table" "Dresser") and how he thinks...it really is amazing how close I believe the author got into the mind of a true 5 year old. I think of conversations I have with my grade one students and the tangeants they go off on...soooo funny!

I think too of the amazing courage and resiliance of Ma who educates him incredibly well (in all "subjects" including phys ed..yes, such a teacher comment) and comes up with awesome little games to build Jack's vocabulary. I am a little creeped out by her breast feeding and hope this will stop at some point?! Besides that, I can't wait to head back to the pool and finish it this afternoon. I don't want to say too much more so I don't spoil anything for those who haven't read it yet!

Sending you all extra warm wishes,
xoxo

P.S. I like this book cover better than the one I have because it shows the little shed with the skylight...sooooo chilling...what a concept...

No comments:

Post a Comment