Sunday, March 6, 2011

Oh Jane, where have you been all my life?

I can't believe what a snob I've been for thinking a Bronte novel just wasn't for me. When I went to see Black Swan at the theatre, a preview for a movie really caught my attention and left me wanting more...the title of the movie: "Jane Eyre." I thought, it must be another? I've had the novel sitting on my bookself for as long as I can remember, and have never been tempted to pick it up. That night, I discovered it was also included free in my Kobo (as a classic title) and began reading right away. What a fantastic and sad story - I am nowhere near the end, as I am working hard to finish our book club selection for this Tuesday, but so far I am in love and thinking: What took me so long?

The opening of the story has a Cinderalla feel to it (in a bad way), as Jane is being raised by a horrid aunt on the promise she made to her dead husband, Jane's uncle, after Jane's parents both succumbed to Typhus. Treated like a dog, attacked by her cousin and left often in seclusion, she dreams of leaving the estate and finally gets the opportunity to attend a boarding school. My favourite character thus far (besides the fabulous Jane herself) is Helen Burns, her friend at Lowood school for girls. Helen appears more introverted than Jane herself, yet is the type of wise and forgiving young woman we should all aspire to be. When Jane confides in her of her past at the Reed's estate and her resentment towards them all, Helen replies "Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs." What a beautiful thought (perhaps not practical, since what else would we gossip about today) but wouldn't it be nice to live this way?!!

I have much more to read and share and am so looking forward to the film. Who's coming with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment